Record Details

NHER Number:16315
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval cross


The site of a medieval cross, mentioned in a document dating from 1454.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 986 217
Map Sheet:TF92SE

Full description

Approximate site at east end of Hall Farm (road fork before enclosures).
Site of Stump Cross, mentioned in 1454.
Source (S1).

The name indicates this was indeed the base of a wayside cross.
Informant [1] also gives several other cross names in the parish which he believes were wayside crosses erected to guide travellers to Walsingham.
However, there seems no evidence that these were other than cross-road names.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 July 1980.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Monograph: Yaxley, D.. 1980. North Elmham.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 9. p 529.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service