Record Details

NHER Number:16024
Type of record:Building
Name:Salthouse Hall, Purdy Street (formerly of Bard Road), Salthouse


An early 17th century two storey brick house, perhaps with an earlier core, with a black glazed pantile roof and 18th century refacing. At the rear are two two storey wings, the one to the right of 17th century origin, the other late 19th century. The hall stood empty for a number of years, but was sympathetically restored in the 1990s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0739 4376
Map Sheet:TG04SE

Full description

February 1952. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"House, early C17 perhaps on earlier core. Brick with black glazed pantiles seven bays, two storeys, two contiguous wings to rear of C17 and C19."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 October 1987. Amended by P. Beers (HES), 29 August 2020.

April 1980. Field Observation.
Two-storey building of the size of a normal house rather than a hall. North façade in brick with string course between the stories. Seven bays, with the third and sixth bays from the west very narrow, a feature (S3) dates to 1700 to 1710. On the ground floor these narrow bays are doors, on the upper their windows are blocked up, one with a fire insurance plaque on the blocking (window tax?).
East gable wall of flint has small blocked windows of 17th century type. Two rear extensions, both late.
Apparently empty at time of visit.
See record card (S2). Also see published summary (S3) / (S4) for further details.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).

2003. Documentary Evidence.
Publication (S5) states that the Hall was called Dawneys in 1742; Edward Dawney became rector in 1663 and the author connects it with him.
See publication (S5) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 October 2003. Amended by P. Beers (HES), 29 August 2020.

Newspaper articles (S6) and (S7), 1993 architectial plans (S8), and photographs (S9) are also held in HER archives.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049798.
<S2>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S3>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 310.
<S4>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 656.
<S5>Publication: Fiddian, V. (ed). 2003. Salthouse. The story of a Norfolk Village. p 35.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Sale advertisement for Salthouse Hall, Salthouse]. 4 September.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. A delightful home. 6 January.
<S8>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S9>Photograph: 1993. Photographs of Salthouse Hall, Bard Road, Salthouse. Black & white.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service