Record Details

NHER Number:15977
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval workhouse


The site of an 18th century workhouse, marked on a map of 1836. There is some uncertainty as to whether the building was completely demolished, or if the two storey rendered building to the west of the site is a remaining part.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2363 9429
Map Sheet:TM29SW

Full description

Site of workhouse ('poor house').
Marked on (S1), 1836.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 March 1980.
15 February 1996. Visited.
It is very difficult from the 1836 map to judge which, if either, of the two buildings now on site is indicated. The depiction on the map seems to be aligned east to west, but the easternmost of the two buildings ('Freemason's Cottages') aligned in this direction is a late 19th century pair of semi detached villas with white brick facades and red brick rear. The western building seems more promising though it is aligned north to south; two storeys, rendered but with a dentilled cornice, central stack, this could well be 18th century in date.
However, it also could be after 1836 and the poor house may have been demolished.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 February 1996.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service