|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval bone mill|
The site of a bone mill, marked on a map of 1836. It was powered by water from the canal. The mill was reportedly destroyed by fire in the 1950s, and a 1978 aerial photograph shows that the building has gone and the canal has been infilled.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 267 323|
|Parish:||NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Mills' marked on the 1953 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.
(S1), 1836 shows these as bone mills worked by water from the canal.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1980.
12 September 1978.
NAU air photograph shows totally destroyed, canal infilled.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 May 1981.
According to University of East Anglia farm survey of site NHER 29968 these mills were deliberately burnt down in the 1950s.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1993.
- CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 2632A,B. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...