|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
The site of a windmill, marked on a map of 1836.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2844 3058|
|Parish:||NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
On site of Works south of cemetery.
Site of wind mill.
Marked on(S1), 1836, on 'Watch Hill'.
E. Ros (NAU), 4 March 1980.
A tower mill last used in 1908.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.
A windmill in North Walsham was damaged by fire in 1896. Which is not specified but perhaps NHER 13282 is the most probable as a reference to it in 1896 is mentioned.
See press cutting in file for NHER 13282.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 March 1996.
This post mill was built in 1771 and last used in 1912. Photographic evidence shows that it was left derelict pretty shortly after closing down, and local folklore made reference to the structure as a gibbet because of its cross beam design.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 10/01/11
- POST MILL (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1771 AD to 1912 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...