Record Details

NHER Number:15156
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill, Mill Cottages


The site of a post mill, marked on a map of 1797. It was demolished in 1869.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8430 2201
Map Sheet:TF82SW

Full description

Site of wind mill. Marked on Faden's map of 1797 (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 21 August 1979.

This is the site of a post mill recorded well back into medieval and rebuilt in 1724. Information from [1].
Drawn on map of 1590 as standing on mound. See (S2).

Last used in 1868 and demolished 1869. Information from [2].

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Monograph: Wade-Martins, P. 1980. Fieldwork and Excavation on Village Sites in Launditch Hundred, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 10.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service