Record Details

NHER Number:14697
Type of record:Building
Name:Forge Cottage and smithy


A house and smithy, first appearing in documentary records in 1642. The long house, probably 17th century in origin, is timber framed and plastered, with two small original mullioned windows on the upper floor, but otherwise much restored in 'Tudor' style in the 19th century. The group of smithy buildings and a chimney behind the house are of red brick with yellow brick trimmings.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2394 9450
Map Sheet:TM29SW

Full description

21 March 1979. Visited.
Smithy and house. House is long, timber framed, perhaps originally 17th century.
One long and low and one tiny window remain on upper floor; but much 'Tudorised' in the 19th century.
Behind and to east, quadrangle of smithy buildings of red brick with yellow brick trimmings and tapering 'engine' chimney with yellow diaperwork.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 March 1979.

Documentary research and fieldwork.
Earliest record of Forge Cottage is 1642.
Two medieval sherds found between house and river.
Information from [1].
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 May 2005.

Monument Types

  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 395.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service