Record Details

NHER Number:14695
Type of record:Building
Name:Thatched Cottage


A 17th century thatched timber framed house, heavily restored in 1939, though most of the original braces and beams survive. The house has a wooden spiral staircase clad in brick, and a domed oven next to two large but now reduced fireplaces. The single storey 19th century extension reuses much older wooden beams.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2363 9475
Map Sheet:TM29SW

Full description

December 1959. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
17th century timber-frame house, plastered and partly brick faced. Thatched roof with gabled ends. Brick dressing stack off centre. On right hand (north-west) a gabled wing and modern gabled addition in the angle. Two storeys and attic. Casement windows, mostly modern with leaded panes.
Information from (S1).

21 March 1979. Visit.
Timber framed; exterior and thatch all over restored in 1939, but original roof timbers in main, with upside down windbraces, each numbered as are main beams (except some replaced). Wooden spiral staircase from roof to ground floor in brick surround, with cupboards under.
Two large fireplaces now narrowed down, but in the cupboards beside them a domed brick oven and another below, or a stoke hole for the main oven, visible. Single storey 19th century extension has reused beams much older. Other additions.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 March 1979.

Documentary research.
Earliest owner was Robert Toffes/Toftees.
Information from [1].
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 May 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1153251.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service