Record Details

NHER Number:1446
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval chapel and Roman and medieval finds

Summary

This is the site of a medieval chapel that was founded in 1249. Roman and medieval pottery, medieval floor tiles and building material have been found on the site. Metal detecting has recovered a Roman brooch.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 69 37
Map Sheet:TF63NE
Parish:HEACHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1952. East end of Golden Gates Field.
Name indicates the Roman site to west.
Site of chapel of Virgin Mary founded 1249, see (S1).
Glazed floor tiles in yellow, green, and blue with lime mortar, medieval sherds, areas of chalk rubble (floors?), pieces of flat Niedermendig quern, ploughed up from 22cm (9") deep.
Investigated by [1].
Also bricks, examined by Glendenning and regarded as 15th century, and section of limestone shaft, probably from doorway.
E. Rose (NAU)

1978.
Head of Roman bronze dolphin brooch found with metal detector.
Information via NCM.
E. Rose (NAU)

(S2) has 'quantities of Samian' at this point.
E. Rose (NAU)

(S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1923. Roman remains at Heacham. 26 October.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 63 NE 19.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Heacham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
<S2>Map: King's Lynn Museum. KLM 6 inch Record Map.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1952. [Article on the finding of medieval pottery]. 7 November.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service