Record Details

NHER Number:13642
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval brickworks and house


An 18th century brickworks and associated house. Most of the kiln has now gone, but the tall narrow house remains, and may well have been a show house to illustrate the kind of bricks being made on site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 3036 9325
Map Sheet:TM39SW

Full description

Brick works. House remains, and traces of kiln.
For detailed description of working state see (S1).
Marked on Faden's map 1797 (S2).

The house is a very tall and narrow rectangular building (not listed) formerly plastered with pilasters.

Plaster stripped October 1986 to reveal two Gothic windows on two levels (i.e. Two to a floor) on southwest side at least; seen only from a distance but could well be a 'show house' illustrating bricks made on site, as at Litcham and Little Plumstead.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 October 1986.

40,200 bricks are said to have been made here to build Bedingham School, according to Village Millennium Booklet.
E.Rose (NLA), 18 January 2000.

According to Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 6 (1864) the kiln was discovered in 1858 and is speculated to be the oldest kiln in Norfolk as it started work as a pottery kiln before it was used to burn lime.
NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold (HES) 08/12/2010

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Monograph: Rider Haggard, L. (ed). 1939. The rabbit skin cap: a tale of a Norfolk countryman's youth..
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service