|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Route of King's Lynn Harbour Railway|
The Harbour Railway was opened in 1849 and ran from the Harbour Junction to Friars Fleet and the South Quay. It closed in 1968 and the rails were mostly dismantled. An evaluation in August 2009 recovered post-medieval and modern deposits and finds including an early 19th century brick fragment and mid-19th century drain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6197 1892|
|Parish:||KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1849 to 1968.
Harbour Junction to Friar's Fleet and South Quay.
Another branch to South Lynn.
However the rails remain intact in the bridge over the River Nar, north of the fertiliser works, at TF 6216 1869.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 March 1999.
August 2009. Trial Trenching.
A sequence of alluvial, undated and post-medieval and modern deposits were recovered. It is possible that a number of dumped deposits may relate to the Civil War defences or from the raising of the ground level prehaps in preparation for the railway. Deposits from the railway were found in two trenches but no deposits relating to the oil factory that previously occupied the site were observed. Finds from trench one included mortar fragments, a mid 19th century land drain, flint, brick and tile fragments. Trench 2 contained alluvial deposits with later dump deposits including coal and charcoal fragments. A number of rectangular features were cut into the dumped material that may represent wooden beams possibly used to stabilise the surface in preparation for the railway. Trench 3 contained alluvial deposits cut by a large feature containing an early 19th century brick fragment. The limited finds from the trenches suggest that this area of land was not densely occupied.
See report (S1) for further details.
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.322).
S. Howard (NLA), 25 March 2010. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 June 2019.
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILWAY (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1849 AD to 1968 AD)
- DRAIN (19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1820 AD?)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Cope-Faulkner, P. 2009. Archaeological Evaluation of Land at Hardings Pits and Blubberhouse Creek, King's Lynn, Norfolk. Archaeological Project Services. 87/09. |
Related records - none
Find out more...