Record Details

NHER Number:1345
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Ringstead

Summary

This imposing church originally dates to the 13th/14th century but its entire exterior was restored in 1865. It was during this restoration that a large, carved demonic animal was added to the exterior of the north aisle. An earlier restoration in 1771 has been suggested, with some of the stone used supposedly from St Peter's church which had been pulled down at this time. The interior is unpretentious and features a fine piscina with floral finials and human-head corbels. The pulpit door was enlarged in the 19th century as previous to this it was so small that the rector had to climb over the pulpit to use it! The churchyard here also contains two 'ancient tombs' which are of interest.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7059 4066
Map Sheet:TF74SW
Parish:RINGSTEAD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

St Andrew's church.
West Tower with Y-tracery bell openings, dating to around 1300, south door of same date. Chancel with intersected tracery windows early 14th century. Good angle-piscina, ogee. Perpendicular nave windows. Brass 1482 to Richard Kegell (or could be Roger Kegall - conflicting sources - T. Sunley (NLA)) who rebuilt chancel roof. North aisle of 1865 when whole of exterior restored. Plate: alms dish 1683, chalice 1789 remodelled 1864, Paten cover 1828.
Information from (S1) as not yet visited.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).

Bryant claims material from St Peter's was used to restore it in 1771.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).

Tom Martin, early 18th century, mentions two brass matrices, a south porch, stained glass in the belfry, a ruined north transept and a 'north belfry' also two ancient tombs in the yard, one opposite the porch and one by the priests door.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).

21 June 1983. About 20m southwest of tower on surface in area of disturbed soil around graves.
One bodysherd of glazed Grimston, two bodysherds unglazed ?medieval.
Held by NCM, previously by A. Rogerson (NAU - staff fieldwork).
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU).
A. Rogerson (NAU).

Twenty-nine fragments of alabaster panels found in north aisle of church in altar table are on loan to NCM.
No information received from NCM by December 1987.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 December 1987.

See (S2) for photograph of church in 1900.
E. Rose (NLA) 19 July 1990. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 12 September 2016.

Before the 19th century restoration the pulpit door was so small the rector had to climb over the top.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 16 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PANEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171984.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 614.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 293.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. [Photograph of St Andrew's Church from 1900s]. 17 July.
<S3>Article in Serial: Lee, R. 2002. Revolution and Restoration: Paternalism, Distance and Dignity in the Victorian Church. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 1-14. p 7.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service