|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medival flint house|
Around 1930 the foundations of a medieval flint house were excavated. The flints were reused to build Pilgrim House, Cottage, Rest and Shelter.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2794 3880|
|Parish:||TRIMINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Flint building excavated on site of Pilgrim House.
Flints used to build house, also Pilgrim Cottage, Pilgrim Rest and Pilgrim Shelter.
Building claimed to be a pilgrims' hostel, but some doubted this at the time.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
Pilgrim House is at grid reference, other buildings to its southwest. The flints in them are large nodules and show no sign of reuse. The building would have had to have been as big as the church to produce all this flint and writer is very sceptical.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 March 1978.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 12. |
Related records - none
Find out more...