|Type of record:||Building|
A carrstone watermill dating from about 1840, and incorporating some 17th century details. The mill has a four storey porch tower, with an open arched entrance on the ground floor. The mill is now the headquarters of Norfolk Lavender.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6851 3745|
|Parish:||HEACHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mill on this site marked by (S1) and (S2).
September 1984. Listed, Grade II.
About 1840 with some 17th century remnants.
Carrstone of 3 storeys, 5 bays.
T-plan with off centre 4 storey gabled porch open to north and south with four centred arches; semi-octagonal corner buttresses and pinnacles. String course.
South gable has 4 central windows of 3 lights each.
Later low east wing.
See (S3) for the complete listing details.
Originally noted by A. Lawson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 12 March 1984.
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Article on the use of the Caley Watermill as the headquarters of Norfolk Lavender]. 18 April. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Photograph of Caley Watermill]. 29 September. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 390. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305624. |
Related records - none
Find out more...