Record Details

NHER Number:12839
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory, Tuttington


This 17th century house has a Georgian facade. The west gable wall is in original brick and is topped by an octagonal chimney. The east gable is similar but with an external chimneystack. The south facade is Georgian with four bays, but of the original 17th century house parts of the plinth remain. Two thatched barns at the rear have date 1744 or 1747 in clamp irons.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2203 2764
Map Sheet:TG22NW

Full description

Heath Farm on OS.
17th century house with Georgian facade. West gable wall in original brick topped by octagonal chimney. East gable similar but with external chimneystack, and on gable square chimneystack with two octagonal chimneys (renewed). Central chimneystack (rebuilt 1920 copying original) very tall with three octagonal chimneys. South facade Georgian, four bays, two storeys, dentilled cornice, but of original 17th century house parts of the plinth remain, blocked window at east end upper floor. One Georgian window or door replaced by 19th century brick porch (traces of blocking visible).
Interior said to have large fireplace with oven.
Two thatched barns at rear (now in separate ownership) have date 1744 or 1747 in clamp irons.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 15 September 1977.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1744 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1250778.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 704.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service