|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Mill House and site of post medieval paper mill|
The site of an 18th century paper mill which was rebuilt after burning down in 1778. The mill was then destroyed in a riot in 1832, rebuilt again, and used until 1865. The mill house remains, an attractive 18th century brick building with a slightly unusual central chimney stack. It stands next to a narrow three-arched bridge over the river.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0713 1786|
|Parish:||LYNG, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
This is the site of paper mill marked on (S1), but in fact burnt down in 1778 (S2). The mill is mentioned in Martin's Church Notes (S3), describing 'One of two large bricks taken up at Lyng Mill in Norfolk weighed 4 stone and 8 oz (tho' some part was broken off it)'. (S4) describes Lyng mill as in existence before 1764 when it was visited by Parson Woodeforde.
It ws burnt out in 1778, rebuilt 1781, then destroyed by Luddites in 1832, and finally rebuilt and worked until 1865.
E. Rose (NAU), June 1984.
1990. Field Observation.
A small cottage in late 17th/early 18th century style, constructed of brick with an interesting central stack. There is also a narrow three arched brick bridge over river, parallel with road bridge. Both the house and the bridge are listed Grade II as 18th century (S5).
Press cutting (S6) dates house as medieval, but this seems not to be correct.
See (S6) and (S7) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 June 1992.
Architects plan (S8) of additions top the house in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 21 January 2008.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- PAPER MILL (Post Medieval - 1700 AD to 1865 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 532. |
|---||Photograph: Weir Birdge, Lyng. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Sale advertisement for the Mill House, Lyng]. 19 June. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S3>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Stoker, D. 1976. The Early History of Paper-making in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 241-252. p 248. |
|<S5>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. We’ve got location, location, location. 9 May. |
|<S8>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...