|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval cross, Houghton Park|
The base and shaft of a medieval stone cross on a later plinth. The cross was moved from its original location, and marks the site of the medieval village of Houghton which was removed from the park in the 1730s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7918 2851|
|Parish:||HOUGHTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Monument' (Ordnance Survey) is in fact the medieval village cross.
In 1742 it was noted as near the village inn, but was moved by Lord Walpole.
On carrstone plinth that dates from after 1846.
Stone base with carved stop angles, shaft about 3.6m (12ft) high, carved in twelve facets.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 2 June 1977.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 316; Pl 6. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304621. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 435. |
|30463||Part of: Houghton Park (Monument)|
Find out more...