|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of shale mine, medieval pottery sherds|
This is the site of the shale mine which supplied the oil refinery at NHER 12556. Fieldwalking in 1987 recovered sherds of medieval pottery, mainly from the eastern side of the field.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 624 145|
|Parish:||WEST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of oil mine.
Shale oil extracted at site NHER 12556 from shale mined here 1918-1930.
E. Rose (NAU), 1977.
31 March 1987. Field now under young cereal.
Fenland fieldwalking found odd sherds medieval pottery, mainly to east. WHW AT (S2).
Finds in NCM.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders (S3).
R. Silvester (NAU), 3 April 1987.
- MINE (World War One to Modern - 1918 AD? to 1930 AD?)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Fisher, C. 1977. Norfolk Oil: A note. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol II No 2 pp 37-38. |
|<S2>||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WHW AT. FENS. |
|<S3>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
|12556||Part of: West Winch (Setchey) oilfield (Monument)|
Find out more...