Record Details

NHER Number:12079
Type of record:Building
Name:Valley Farmhouse


A 16th century timber framed house, encased in brick in the 19th century. Two storeys high with attics, its original thatched roof has been replaced with pantiles. The house was originally an open hall, floored and remodelled in the 17th century. 20th century restoration included replacement of most of the windows and rebuilding the west gable. Inside can be found a 17th century winding staircase set against the side of the chimney stack.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 3129 9323
Map Sheet:TM39SW

Full description

Timber framed house part replaced in brick, originally a medieval open hall of which one complete open truss survives.
Subdivided and roof and chimneys replaced mid to late 17th century.

Royal Commission for Historic Monuments 1972 survey (S1) in file.

Listed building description (S2) does not differ from (S1) description except that thatch has been replaced by tiles.
Location confirmed on ground by E.Rose (NLA), 15 June 1995.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 SW 20.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Pearson, S and Mercer, E.. 1972. RCHM Survey. October.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 393.
---Photograph: 1978. Photographs of Valley Farmhouse, Church Road, Hedenham. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service