Record Details

NHER Number:11001
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Shelfanger

Summary

This church has an early 14th century tower with battlements. The chancel and the north door are contemporary, and it seems likely that the scissor-braced roof of the nave dates to the same period. A lovely timber north porch was added sometime after 1506 and features floral carved spandrels. Inside, there is a 14th century octagonal font and a number of superb mid 13th century wallpaintings. It has been stated that these paintings were found in 1966 behind a false east wall, on the original east wall. It is therefore possible that this was a way of hiding them during the Reformation or Civil War. According to documentary sources this is also the site of St Anne's holy well during the medieval period.

Images

  • All Saints' Church, Shelfanger. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1073 8366
Map Sheet:TM18SW
Parish:SHELFANGER, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

This church has an early 14th century tower with battlements. The chancel and the north door are contemporary, and it seems likely that the scissor-braced roof of the nave dates to the same period. A lovely timber north porch was added sometime after 1506 and features floral carved spandrels. Inside, there is a 14th century octagonal font and a number of superb mid 13th century wallpaintings. It has been stated that these paintings were found in 1966 behind a false east wall, on the original east wall. It is therefore possible that this was a way of hiding them during the Reformation or Civil War!

13th century wall painting found 1966 (photographs NCM).
St Anne's Well here (see (S1)).
E. Rose (NAU).

See (S2) in file.

Source (S3) states that the wallpaintings found in 1966 were discovered behind a false east wall, on the original east wall. Was this a way of hiding them at the Reformation or Civil War?
E. Rose (NLA) 18 April 2006.

There was a singers’ gallery in the southwest corner between the tower arch and the south wall, containing three benches facing east and with stairs on the north. This was present before 1805 but was taken down in the 1850s, and a three-decker pulpit removed, by the Rector whose father in Sheffield paid for the restoration of the church.
(S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 7 July 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLY WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 1083C,D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Pursehouse, E.. no date. Waveney Valley Studies.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 640.
---Leaflet: 1975. All Saints, Shelfanger.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: The Times. 1966. [Photograph of the wall paintings at All Saints' Church, Shelfanger]. 13 January.
<S1>Monograph: Cromwell, T.. 1818. Excusions Through the County of Norfolk.
<S2>Photograph: [unknown].
<S3>*Verbal Communication: Fenner, A.. 2006. Lecture in Cambridge.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service