|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's Church, Haveringland|
Situated in an isolated position on a disused World War Two airfield, once the Park to Haveringland Hall, this pretty church has arguably one of the oldest round towers in the county. It dates to the 11th century and contains much reused Roman building material. The rest of the church is a rebuild of 1858 for Lord de Ramsay of Haveringland Hall, and consists of an aisled nave, chancel, big north and south transepts and a south door. The top of the tower also dates from this time. Most of the interior of the church is 19th century, but the 15th century octagonal font survives, together with a probably 13th century tomb slab relaid in the south transept. Some locally found antiquities are on display in a case. The churchyard is surrounded by a good 19th century flint wall, and to the north of the chancel is a 13th century coffin slab.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1514 2090|
|Parish:||HAVERINGLAND, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Very early round tower according to source , containing much Roman brick, tile and opus signinum. One doorway of about 1300 and one window of about 1400 survive from medieval church which was otherwise rebuilt 1858.
Added top of tower of latter date contains bricks of type usually found before 1780.
Medieval font; stone monument and coffin slab, otherwise furnishings 19th century. Reports (S1) and (S2), file note (S3) and photographs (S4) in file. (S5).
1992. medieval sherd from churchyard.
E.Rose (NLA), 29 May 1996.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Xbell frame (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Manning, C. R. 1864. Lost brasses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 3-26. p 22. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1521 A-E. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Cash gift to 'forgotten' church. 31 March. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 1521R - U. |
|---||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 543. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1996. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Wingate, M.. 1996. Appendix 2: Archaeological Report to English Heritage.. 30 April. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Diocesan Advisory Committee. 1996. File note.. 23 May. |
|<S4>||Photograph: HJP 14-28. |
|<S5>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372948. |
Related records - none
Find out more...