|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Chapel of St John, Croxton|
The site of a Domesday church with standing remains possibly dating back to the 11th or 12th century. The east window dates to around 1300 and the remaining windows to the 15th century. A possible tower was replaced by a 17th century western extension to the nave. The building used to be the parish church of Croxton. Croxton parish is now amalgamated with Fulmodeston and the chapel is in ruins.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9839 3094|
|Parish:||FULMODESTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ruined chapel of St John the Baptist, formerly parish church of Croxton, now amalgamated with Fulmodeston.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU).
Described in (S1) as 'in ruins and covered in brambles'. A medieval south doorway with mark of a larger blocked door above it. No quoins on southeast corner. (S2) describes as 13th century with a 15th century porch.
E. Rose (NLA).
The site of a Domesday church with standing remains possibly dating back to the 11th or 12th century. The east window dates to around 1300 and the remaining windows to the 15th century. Possible tower replaced by 17th century western extension to nave.
M. Dennis (NLA), 14 December 2005.
Building seems to be unchanged since (S2) who dates it as 11th/12th century altered around 1300 and again in 15th century and extended, perhaps across site of fallen tower, in 17th century. However, (S2) notes only the collapsed north porch and does not mention what seem to be ruins of a south porch still shown on current mapping. There are recumbent 18th century tomb slabs overgrown in the churchyard, and there is a local story that the south porch contained a stone coffin lid now buried in the rubble.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 Janaury 2006.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 SE 3. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 447. |
|---||Leaflet: The parish of Fulmodestone and its churches.. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fulmodeston. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 121. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 41; p 51. |
|MNO1222||Related to: Church of St John the Baptist Back Lane CROXTON (Revoked)|
Find out more...