Record Details

NHER Number:10507
Type of record:Building
Name:The High House

Summary

An early 18th century brick and carrstone house, with a date plaque inscribed 'LDA 1726'. The house has a late 18th or early 19th century rear extension, a 19th century stuccoed porch and three attic dormer windows with pediments.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6772 3759
Map Sheet:TF63NE
Parish:HEACHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

3 storey carrstone (with occasional flint pebbles) building, with brick window surrounds, giant angle pilasters on corners of facades, corbelling under eaves, and large dentils under eaves at rear above extension.
5 bays in facade, one of these on ground floor being the entrance with stucco porch, corner pilasters.
3 dormers, above end and central bays, side ones with pointed roofs and central one with rounded top.
Brick moulding on exterior at first floor level.
Two storey extension at rear.
Plaque on gable reads 'YDA 1726'.
Chimney stacks renewed.
Other later extensions have been demolished, leaving holes in rear walls, but generally in good condition.
Application to demolish opposed.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 3 June 1976.

(S1) has plaque as LDA; dates porch as early 19th century; states rear wing is of stone; and that demolished sections were kitchen and ballroom.
(S2) in file.
(S3) (pre 1992) as large rolled plans.
E. Rose (NAU)

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: Photographs of The High House, Pound lane, Heacham. Black and white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077946.
<S2>Photograph: BDE 14-15.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service