Record Details

NHER Number:10505
Type of record:Building
Name:Fritton Old Hall


This was originally a timber framed house dating to about 1540, but has been subject to numerous 19th and 20th century alterations and extensions.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4759 0013
Map Sheet:TG40SE

Full description

Has arch braced tie beam roof (see (S1)).
E. Rose (NLA).

November 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Three builds. Original house cross passage plan of 1540. Service end refaced early 19th century to form south façade. Site of hall now a mid 19th century block; to north, extension of 1870. South end timber frame with brick infill. Roof of black glazed pantiles. On interior, screens passage retains three doorways with slots for four centred spandrels. Two light openings above them. Chamfered and tongue stopped bridging beam. Roof of south block has tiebeams on arched braces. Tension braces to wall plate; diminished principals and clasped purlins, cambered collars and windbracing.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 November 1998.

(S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 40 SE 15.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fritton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. 1974. Suffolk. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 225.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305105.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service