Record Details

NHER Number:10118
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval watermill and miller's house


The miller's house here has two bays and two storeys. It is built from red brick and dates to around 1800. A building with similar brickwork and surrounded by water channels was presumably the mill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2259 9937
Map Sheet:TM29NW

Full description

3 September 1980. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Watermill. Mill here marked on (S1).
Two bay, two storey red brick millers house of around 1800.
Building of similar brickwork surrounded by water channels was presumably the mill.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1980.

December 1983. House listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Former miller's house. Early 19th-century. Brick with pantiled roof. Two storeys and three-bay façade of sash windows with glazing bars beneath skewback arches. Central semicircular headed doorway with fanlight. Hipped roof with projecting eaves. Stack to each side. Long lower contemporary extension to rear."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S2) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 23 March 2021.

15 October 1993. NLA aerial photography (S3).
Site can be determined, but is obscured by trees.
H. Clare (NLA) 21 February 2001.

However source [1] states that mill was demolished in 1949/50 and stood north of the house, at the bridge.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 March 2003.

Photo in secondary file for NHER 9966.

It was reported in the EDP Febuary 1949 (S4) that a private individual planned on spending a considerable ammount of money rennovating the mill to save it from demolition. However from other sources it is evident that this never occurred.
NIAS records (S5)
W. Arnold HES 10/01/11

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM2299 A,B.
---Photograph: Funnell, B.. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304779.
<S3>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TM 2299H.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown].
<S5>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records

30523Part of: Shotesham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service