Record Details

NHER Number:10116
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Andrew's Chapel at Fairstead


The site of the medieval chapel of St Andrew. Nothing remains today, although medieval pottery fragments have been found. A chicken house now stands on the site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2132 9509
Map Sheet:TM29NW

Full description

Parochial in 1065; mentioned 1379; still extant 1805 'long demolished' in about 1900 (S1); Ordnance Survey card. Chicken house stands on site.

4 September 1980. Visit.
Owners absent so a detailed search could not be made, but the site appears to lie in a farmyard.
E. Rose (NAU).

Medieval pottery scatter over site; Mrs. S. Addington in (S2) (plan).
The Ordnance Survey as above are assuming that this is one of the two parish churches in Domesday Book.
[1]'s dissertation dates this chapel later and places second church at NHER 15909, but evidence really seems better for this site.

(S3) (Norfolk Record Office MSS Rye 17) mentions an 'old will' referring to this chapel at 'Suffairshed apud Hempnall'; in other words, South Fairstead. This was formerly wrongly numbered NHER 16511.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 November 1985.

In (S4) [1] decides this is the church site and says six skeletons were excavated here 'many years ago'.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 October 1987.

Appropriate section from reference (S5) in file.

1987. Documentary research and fieldwalking.
Shown on 1767 Grimston map next to Chapel Close; possibly not the Domesday Church because of St Mary's Church. No Saxon sherds found.
No reference to St Andrew's in 14th century court rolls (S6).
(S7) mentions The Runhill alias St. Andrew's Hill, April 16 Aliz, 1573 to 4.
Visited by Blomefield, 11 to 17 July 1726.
Information from [1].
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 May 2005.

June 2003. Surface collection in garden of Fairstead Farm.
Prehistoric flint flake.
Medieval and post medieval pottery sherds.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 15 July 2005.

Monument Types

  • INHUMATION (Unknown date)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 10.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hempnall.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19..
<S2>Article in Serial: Addington, S. 1982. Landscape and Settlements in South Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt II pp 97-139. p 104.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. Walter Rye Collection. RYE 17.. c. 1740.
<S4>Serial: Cubitt, M.. NARG News.. No 49.
<S5>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 177; p 54.
<S6>Documentary Source: 1329-1398. Court Rolls.
<S7>Documentary Source: 1573-90. [unknown].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service