|Type of record:||Monument|
The first evidence for a park at Hargham is from 1797. It was expanded to the east in 1839-46 with only a couple of subsequent later alterations being made. The kitchen garden of the late 18th to 19th century survives in good condition and there are a number of exotic plants in the 19th century pleasure ground to the east. The Park is associated with Hargham Hall (NHER 19788). A metal detecting survey between May and June 2001 recovered two post-medieval buttons.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0202 9203|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
It is not known when the park originated, and the maps of the parkland are poor until 1846, which even then does not properly define the parkland area. The earliest map is Faden’s map, surveyed in 1794 (S4), which depicts a park of c.40 hectares, bounded on the west by the Turnpike road (now A11), on the east and south by public roads, and on the north by a tree belt. Two drives are shown leading to Hargham Hall (NHER 19788) from the west.
A Road Closure Order was passed in 1800, terminating a right of way along the eastern boundary which ran north from the Hargham Church (NHER 9187) as far as the toll gate on the Turnpike Road. It is possible that the continued existence of a footpath through the Hall grounds as late as this indicates that the park was of relatively recent creation.
The 1838 Ordnance Survey 1 inch map (S6) shows a smaller park which does not extend as far east as Faden’s map had depicted. This could be significant or differences in the interpretation on the part of the surveyors. This map only shows one driveway leading from the south-west corner. The park features two patches of woodland: ‘Lodge Plantation’ in the south-west corner of the park, and ‘Ten Acre Plantation’, along the north of the park.
An 1846 estate map (S1) shoes that the road leading north-east from the church had been removed and a new road created to the east. The actual area of the park is unclear on the map as parkland and pasture are not distinguished. However it does appear as though the parkland had expanded east, as the east lands are irregularly scattered with trees.
The 1906 Ordnance Survey 6 inch map (S7) shows an extension of the peripheral belts and plantations of trees. The map shows a park covering an area of c.60 hectares.
There is a late 18th century kitchen garden south of the Hall, which is only partially walled. The majority of the trees are oak and sweet chestnut. South of the Hall is the possible site of a Deserted Medieval Village (NHER 11926).
See (S1), (S4), (S6), and (S7).
E. Rose (NLA) 17 March 1994.
Updated C.Hurst (UEA) 8 November 2011.
See also Hargham Hall (NHER 19788).
Hall Farm to the south has outer brick walls of post 1770 but interior has stopped ceiling beams that might be older - but very little is visible.
E. Rose (NLA) 2 March 2001.
May - June 2001. Metal detecting survey A11 improvement scheme.
Two post-medieval buttons were recovered one made from copper alloy and the other tin/lead.
S. Howard (NLA), 24 March 2010.
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLANTATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Brossier, A.. 2007. Jacobs Report No. B0026600. Post-excavation assessment and research design for the A11 Roudham Heath to Attleborough improvement scheme.. |
|<S4>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S5>||Map: Drane, J.. 1838. Hargham Tithe Map. |
|<S6>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1838. Ordnance Survey first edition 1 inch map. Sheet 38. Cromer. 1inch: 1 mile. |
|<S7>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906 to 1907. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map. |
|57486||Parent of: Earthworks of linear ditch, possible medieval to post medieval field boundary or trackway (Monument)|
|57485||Parent of: Earthworks of possible ridge and furrow within Hargham Park (NHER 30506) (Monument)|
|11926||Parent of: Hargham deserted medieval village (Hargham 24) (Monument)|
|19788||Part of: Hargham Hall, Quidenham (Building)|
Find out more...