|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Hargham Hall, Quidenham|
The earliest features of this hall date from 1690, but alterations were made around 1770 and later. It stands two storeys high with string coursing between floors and the hipped and gabled roof now covered with slate is a probable replacement. The front porch takes the form of a Venetian window. An 18th century barn and summer house are situated in the grounds. It is also worth noting that the cellar was part of the original construction, but that the vaulting was added sometime post 1770.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0211 9205|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
About 1690 with 19th century additions.
Brick, west front five bay, two storeys and attics. String courses between floors, cornice. Three shallow pedimented dormers. Roof gabled, but hipped to south, about 1800 to contain two storey addition set forward from original range. Porch in the form of Venetian window. Window above flanked by blank windows. South front obscured by porch bay and one storey gabled range of about 1815. Double stepped external stacks to original south wall have blind niches. East front - some windows replaced string course breached to allow central first floor early 18th century window to descend lower than others. Dormers as on west. North gable wall has stacks similar to original south, also blocked windows. 18th century dogleg staircase with iron twist balusters through three storeys. Contemporary walled garden to north with summer house with large shaped gable. 18th century barn to south with Mansard roof.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1983.
(S2) states house greatly altered in 1770s before passing to Beevor family in 1795. Is this the date of the alterations described as 'circa 1800' above?
E. Rose (NLA) 17 March 1994.
See documentary evidence in file for house being completed around 1689, which fits the listing date of around 1690 quite nicely.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 September 1995.
Photo (S3) in file.
March 2001. Visit.
Listed building description still correct, see (S4).
Roof structure, now clad in slate, may be a replacement.
In the north wall the blocked windows are infilled with pre-1780 bricks and internally covered with panelling, so this is an early alteration.
The moulded string course is present at the ends but between the two stacks is replaced by a timber set in the wall.
The cellar is original but has a post-1770 barrel vaulted chamber added.
The original door in the midlle of the west façade has been converted to a window around 1800.
Added south range is indeed post 1770. But to the south is a detached stable with east wall of bricks with diagonal skintlings (pre approximately 1780). South wall faced in older bricks but on the interior has full height studwork with jowled corner posts and wallplate; probably 17th century.
The stone balls that topped the gatepiers to the west now lie outside the west door and outside the east door is a double colonette capital of limestone, probably part of the collection kept at the hall in the 19th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 2 March 2001.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S3>||Aerial Photograph: TM0292-A, D919 (1987), L and M (1984). |
|<S4>||Scheduling record: Department of Environment. 2001. Listed Building List 2001.. |
|30506||Parent of: Hargham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...