|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Ormesby Old Hall (formerly Ormesby Hall)|
A mid 17th century house that was remodelled and refronted in 1735. The south front of the house is built solely in header bond, which is very rare, and has a central pediment, a central door with Tuscan columns and sash windows. To the west is a single storey library built in 1900 by R.W. Edis. The interior has many elegant 18th century features, including marble fireplaces and moulded plasterwork. The gardens are surrounded by 17th and 18th century garden walls in brick and flint. The forecourt walls in front of the house date from 1735 and include four brick piers topped with stone urns. The single storey stables date to the early 19th century.
Images - none
Fine early Georgian façade with Tuscan doorway, see (S1).
Note in (S2) says front is of 1735, but the house was enlarged in 1654. A door in kitchen is dated 1480. Late Jacobean and Georgian panelling. Note in (S2) made about 1890, undated.
Dutch gabled coach house now is a separate building.
Information from District Council.
E. Rose (NAU).
(S3) gives a long entry for the Old Hall itself, grade II*. Describes as mid 17th century refronted and remodelled 1735. Brick and slate, double pile, the south front in header bond only, a great rarity. 2 storeys, 7 bays, central 3 bays project under pediment. Central door with Tuscan columns and Doric entablature. High relief above. Platband, rusticated quoins to façade. Parapet with urns and balustrades. North elevation basically 17th century, 2 storeys and dormers in 8 bays. Gibbs doorway 3rd bay from right with original door. Ovolo platband at first floor.
Against west end is library by R.W. Edis, 1900.
See (S3) for detailed description of moulded fireplaces, plaster- work, panelling etc. mostly 18th century, one frieze reputedly by Gibbons but more probably Ivory. Library has Gothick bookcases.
The separate coachman's house (grade II) is dated 1741, single storey brick and flint, 6 bays separated by pilasters . One blind bay, the others with cross casements. Dutch gables.
Also listed grade II are stables, 19th century with forecourt walls of 1735. Of brick, stables partly altered to garages but retain 3 lunette loosebox windows and 2 complete looseboxes. Wall has two pierced entrances to house and stables with arched door between.
Also garden walls, mid 17th century, raised 18th and 20th century; brick and flint, of panelled pattern in interior, exterior 'disinclined to symmetry in disposition of brick piers'.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 August 1994.
The name was changed from The Hall to Old Hall when Ormesby House became known as Ormesby Hall (see NHER 8650).
(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 April 1996.
 reports local legend that a previous hall was built by the builder of Blickling Hall, and states that there is a fireplace with English-made Delft tiles of early date.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 February 2001.
Visit to inspect 'secret tunnel' discovered under floor of eastern outshut. This proved to be an 18th/19th century infilled cellar. However, early brickwork not mentioned on (S3) was noted on this elevation; the 'door of 1480' mentioned above is in fact 16th/17th century.
(S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 January 2006.
- FORECOURT (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- GATE PIER (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- YARD (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- GARAGE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 629. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Great potential at fine country house. 9 June. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 294. |
|<S2>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1287569. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...