Record Details

NHER Number:30438
Type of record:Monument
Name:Gunton Park

Summary

The park probably originated in late 17th or early 18th century and was altered and extended during the 18th and 19th centuries. Some of the developments were made following advice from Repton and Gilpin. Features within the park include The Grove (NHER 32152) and The Mount (NHER 6818), part of an early 18th century formal garden designed by Charles Bridgeman, as well as two artificial lakes constructed in the mid 18th century. Archaeological monitoring in 1998 discovered prehistoric worked flints and a large patch of burnt flint.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23171 34078
Map Sheet:TG23SW
Parish:ANTINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
HANWORTH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
ROUGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
SUFFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
THORPE MARKET, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Park possibly originated in 17th century.
Bridgeman designed The Grove in 1730. Lakes created by 1784, also avenue south of house extended 19th century. West boundary belt established by 1784, east belts by 1835. Repton consulted about 1810. Gilpin planted clumps before 1835. Various 19th century formal garden schemes (S1). Present entrance became main entrance after bridge built in 1812. A cyclone in 1895 removed most of the trees. Model Farm and Carpenters Yard are by Wyatt (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 February 1994.

According to the Gardener's Chronicle (S3) an oak on an axis terminating in the western end of the great terrace to the south front was planted by John Harbord in around AD 1676 and this tree was still present in 1988. The oak is probably part of the early formal layout and it stood at the centre of an artificial circular mound which may have terminated the south west radiating avenue shown on the 1784 Biedermann survey of the Gunton Estate. The first definite information regarding the designed of the park is the plan for the western part of The Grove by Charles Bridgeman in around AD 1730 included drawings of the large earth mount and formal walks, which still survived as of 1988.
See (S4) for a history of Gunton Park.
S. Howard (HES), 25 October 2010.

1996. Part earthwork survey in file.
This was submitted with a planning application in April 1996 and the surveyor (as opposed to the architect for the proposal) is not stated.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 April 1996.

1990. Survey of The Grove.
Four trenches excavated on the summit of The Mount and across terraces. That on The Mount revealed the remains of an octagonal brick building and evidence of the mound's construction (S5).
D. Gurney (NLA), 21 July 1997.

Early maps in file.

April to June 1998. Observation of excavation of pond in southeast corner of park.
Part of burnt flint patch revealed, several worked flints suggesting manufacture (S6).
E. Rose (NLA), 20 October 1998.

2002.
English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens halved the area of the protected park, deleting all of the area north of Gallows Hill (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 17 December 2002.

Monument Types

  • BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • DEER PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1812 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BURNT FLINT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • CORE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • DEBITAGE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)

Protected Status

  • Registered Park or Garden
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 286. pp 84-86.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1998. TG2234/AB - AC.
---Photograph: Photograph of The Observatory Tower, Gunton Park, Hanwoth. Colour.
---Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997: Addenda. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 210-211. p 210 (for 1990).
---Unpublished Document: Debois Landscape Survey Group. 1989. Gunton Park, Norfolk: Proposals for replanting on historical principles.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England..
<S2>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk..
<S3>Serial: The Gardener's Chronicle. 1913. The Gardener's Chronicle.. 25 October.
<S4>Monograph: Shaw, J.M. (NCC). 1988. Gunton Park 1670-1987..
<S5>Unpublished Document: Debois Landscape Survey Group. 1990. A Survey of the Grove at Gunton Park, Norfolk.
<S6>Unpublished Document: Smith, M.. 1998. NAU Report No. 321. Report on an archaeological watching brief at Milestone Belt, Gunton Park, Hanworth, Norfolk..

Related records

17730Parent of: Boat house, Gunton Park (Building)
19606Parent of: Boat house, Gunton Park (Building)
56191Parent of: Elderton Lodge (Building)
8557Parent of: Gunton Sawmill, Hanworth (Building)
6814Parent of: Gunton Tower (Building)
6816Parent of: Hanworth Lodges, Gunton Park (Building)
17728Parent of: Icehouse, Gunton Park (Building)
6819Parent of: St Andrew's Church, Gunton, Hanworth (Building)
32152Parent of: The Grove, Gunton Park (Monument)
6818Parent of: The Mount, Gunton Park (Monument)
17729Parent of: Walled kitchen garden, Gunton Hall (Building)
6815Part of: Gunton Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service