|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's Church, Brettenham|
A parish church, with some Norman and medieval work, which probably stands on the site of a Saxon church. The church was almost completely rebuilt by Teulon in the mid 19th century, when the same architect also redesigned Shadwell Court, see NHER 6090 Furnishings were added in 1902-3 by the Muskers of Shadwell Court.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9319 8337|
|Parish:||BRETTENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Church has fine Norman south door and a tower basically of about 1300.
Gutted by fire and partly rebuilt 1693, retaining 14th/15th century windows.
All rebuilt, except tower base and Norman door, in 1852 by S. S. Teulon, a famous architect of the Gothic revival.
His furnishings were mostly replaced in 1903.
Church is likely to stand on the site of a Saxon church, being in the middle of the settlement, but it may also have been an early chapel to a nearby manor house.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 23 April 2004.
(S3) outlines the work by Teulon and the reopening of the church in March 1853.
A. Yardy (HES), 29 January 2013.
April 2000. Bells and bellframe survey.
When the tower was remodelled in 1852, the Norfolk Chronicle reported that Miss Isabella Buxton 'contributed a peal of five sweetly toned bells, cast by Messrs Taylors of Loughborough.' The bells were rung up to 1930. The tower roof has leaked, casuing damage to the bellframe and fittings. Minor repairs were carried out in 1991 although one of the foundation beams is weaker than previously supposed and therefore ringing has been discontinued. These five bells are the earliest complete ring in the county by Taylors of Loughborough.
See (S4) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009
A few years before 2001.
In digging a grave, a wall was struck.
D. Gurney (NLA), 23 February 2001.
Visit to look at dry rot below floor.
(S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 November 2005.
Nov 2006. Visit to look down trenches.
See (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 November 2006.
September 2012. Survey
Cobrar. Medieval church which burnt down in 1693. Nave only was rebuilt with the medieval walls retained. The Buxtons of Shadwell Court employed Teulon to re-roof and extend. He added chancel and transepts and the extravagant timber-framed porch as well as re-facing the walls. Of the medieval church remaining the tower has curved internal corners and was probably a round towe,r transformed into a small square tower in the 14th century. Fine Norman dooway with chevron and nook shafts. Metal screens to transepts and tower arch of great quality and the main rood screen are not by Teulon but were carried out under the instruction of the Musker family in 1902-3 by Percy Bacon & bros. Drawings survive in NRO. Also a extravagant painted scheme has been limewashed over. Fragments have been uncovered. See (S7).
S. Heywood (HES), 23 November2012
- WALL (Unknown date)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL9383 A. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL 9383 B. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TL 9283X. |
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2004. KPB. |
|---||Publication: Cotton, S., and Tricker, R.. St Andrew's Church, Brettenham. |
|---||Publication: Cotton, S.. 1996. St Andrew's Church, Brettenham. |
|---||Unpublished document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. |
|---||Leaflet: St Andrew's Church, Brettenham.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Norfolk Chronicle. 1853. Re-opening of Brettenham Church, Norfolk. 5 March. |
|<S4>||Unpublished document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. pp 3-4. |
|<S5>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2005. Brief note. |
|<S6>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2006. Further Building Report. |
|<S7>||Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2012. Conservation- based Research and Analysis of St Andrew's Church, Brettenham. |
Related records - none
Find out more...