|Type of record:||Monument|
This historic parkland was first laid out in 1738. Capability Brown drew up plans for part of the landscaping in 1765 but it is unclear whether any of these were executed. In the 19th century a formal garden was laid out to the north of the house, although this has been simplified in the 20th century, and an arboretum was also planted. Unfortunately the 1987 hurricane did some damage to the trees. In 1998 the lake was redug. The park may be on the site of an earlier medieval deer park.
Historic Parkland Grade II.
(S1) states 'some evidence of ancient deer park'. (S2) includes mention of a deer park known from 1335 but it is unclear if it relates to the present park in any way. The earliest map to depict a park dates from around 1740 and shows formal avenues running north and south of the hall. In 1765 Capability Brown prepared a plan to de-formalise the parkland to the north of the hall. The extent to which this scheme was carried out is not clear. Gate lodges built for new entrances in 1784 narrow the period of deformalisation to between 1765 and 1784. Certainly an estate map of 1816 shows informal parkland with an almost enclosing plantation belt and a series of circular clumps. A map of 1864 shows an extension to the areas of woodland. This continued into the early 20th century and by 1908 the park measured 325ha. The estate was sold in 1946 and the ownership of the Hall and park became split.
A fine 19th century arboretum survives although damaged by the 1987 hurricane. See (S2) for full details of the site development.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 March 1994. Edited A. Yardy (HES), 07 February 2013.
Lake re-excavated in 1998. It was formerly filled by rainwater drains from the house roof which had since been diverted into the sewers but have now been reinstated.
E. Rose (NLA) 6 April 1998.
3 June 1970. Ordnance Survey air photography. Context 1 at TG 35500045 c.
Earthworks. Landscape feature. This feature appears as a circular wood on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey. I would guess that this is an ornamental feature associated with Langley Park. This site appears as a circular tree clump on the 1816 and 1864 estate maps.
D. Voisey (NLA), 16 October 1995. Edited A. Yardy (HES), 07 February 2013.
- DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FEATURE (landscape feature, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1970. OS 70-173-150. |
|---||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 286. pp 83-84 and 106. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|49547||Parent of: Cropmarks of a formal garden at Langley Park (Monument)|
|49546||Parent of: Cropmarks of possible medieval to post medieval field boundaries and roads (Monument)|
|49548||Parent of: Earthworks of a circular post medieval plantation boundary (Monument)|
|52648||Parent of: Keepers Cottage, Langley Park (Building)|
|30468||Parent of: Post medieval icehouse (Monument)|
|10362||Related to: Langley Hall (Building)|
Find out more...