|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Multi-period pits and finds|
Several pits were excavated by the Norfolk Archaeological Unit in 1986. Some of the pits contained prehistoric and Beaker pottery, and prehistoric pot boilers, and may be related to the Bronze Age cremations found nearby, NHER 22811. Other pits contained Roman, Early Saxon or Middle Saxon and medieval pottery, and Roman coins have been found by metal detecting on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 17 02|
|Parish:||EAST CARLETON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1986. Salvage excavation of pits.
Contents of pits: worked flint, Early Saxon or Middle Saxon pottery (2 pits); Beaker pottery, flints and pot boilers (3 pits); Roman sherd and charcoal (1 pit).
Roman coins found on scraped surface nearby with metal detecting.
See file for full details, contexts, plans, etc.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 May 1989.
1997. Metal detecting finds.
4 Roman coins.
See list in file.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
Finder identified this area on the map even though this is a backfilled quarry.
W. Milligan (NCM), 7 October 1997.
June 2002. Metal detecting, in area of backfilled gravel pit.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 28 August 2002.
- PIT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- PIT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- TRANSVERSE ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Thesis: Garrow, D.. 2006. Pits, Settlement and Deposition during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age in East Anglia.
during the Neolithic and Early
Pits, Settlement and Deposition during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age in East Anglia. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Wymer, J. J. 1990. A Later Bronze Age Cremation Cemetery and Beaker Pits at East Carleton. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt I pp 74-83. |
Related records - none
Find out more...