Record Details

NHER Number:1291
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ruins of St Edmund's Chapel

Summary

The ruins of St Edmund's chapel and a surrounding enclosure, now a World War One memorial garden, are visible on aerial photographs. Some sections of the ruins date to the medieval period, although significant rebuilding took place during the laying out of the garden in 1915. The surrounding earthwork enclosure was probably constructed around 1915. Excavations were carried out in 1913 and artefacts recovered include fragments of 15th century window glass and 15th to 16th century glazed floor tiles.

Images

  • The ruins of the medieval chapel of St Edmund  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • St Edmund's Chapel, Hunstanton.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • St Edmund's Chapel, Hunstanton, in October 2010  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6758 4196
Map Sheet:TF64SE
Parish:HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruins of St Edmund's Chapel. Originally Norman and later.
Excavated 1913.
For details see file.
E. Rose, 1 April 1981.

Photograph of about 1870 in (S1).
(S2).
R.J. Rickett (NAU), 13 March 1990.

The site was made into a First World War memorial of unusual type.
See Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 19 March 1999.

Specifications and record for restoration (1996) (S4) in file.

July 2001. Norfolk NMP.
Banked enclosure surrounding the ruins of St Edmunds chapel, mapped from 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S5) and Hunting Survey photographs from 1969 (S6). The banks enclose a First World War memorial garden created in 1915. The historic gardens survey suggests that the earthworks were existing features (S3). Although the 2nd edition map (1902-07 25 inch) (S7) does not indicate the presence of banks, rather it depicts a walled area much smaller than the banked enclosure. It therefore seems that the banks were created in or around 1915.
S. Massey (NMP), 12 July 2001.

December 2004. Land based fieldwork phase of the Norfolk Rapid Coastal Survey. NHER 41012, context 5.
See (S8).
J. Allen (NLA), 1 December 2005.

April 2006.
Finds recovered during the 1913 excavations include fragments of 15th century window glass and 15th to 16th century glazed floor tiles.
See details in file.
D. Robertson (NLA), 20 April 2006.

June 2011. Newspaper Article.
A carved wooden wolf has been placed near the lighthouse, next to the ruins of a chapel built to mark the spot where St Edmund first landed in 865AD.
See (S9) for further details.
D. Lefeuvre (HES), 8 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
  • GARDEN (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. 1 February.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1996. 13 September.
---Photograph: 1990. Photographs of St. Edmunds Chapel, Lighthouse Lane, Hunstanton. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Article in Serial: Bull, F. M. 1913. St. Edmund's Chapel, Hunstanton. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 376-378.
<S2>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 64 SE 4 [5].
<S3>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1998. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume 3.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Januarys Consultant Surveyors. 1996. Specification for repair/remedial works at St Edmund's Chapel, Old Hunstanton.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 4302-3 07-JUN-1946 (Norfolk SMR TF 6742A, C).
<S6>Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1969. HSL UK/69/949 0050-1 20-NOV-1969 (Norfolk SMR TF 6741A-B).
<S7>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. OS 2nd edition 25" (1905) VI.5.
<S8>Unpublished Document: Robertson, D., Crawley, P., Barker, A., and Whitmore, S.. 2005. NAU Report No. 1045. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Zone Archaeological Survey. Assessment Report and Updated Project Design..
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. The day a boy king landed in Norfolk. 29 June.

Related records

41012Part of: Norfolk Rapid Coastal Survey: land based survey at Hunstanton (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service