|Type of record:||Building|
In 1585 Sir Edward Coke built a brick manor house on the remains of the deserted settlement of Godwick (NHER 1104). It is thought likely that this associated barn was built around the same time, perhaps 1586. It is a brick structure of English bond, and is particularly long, with pedimented doorways and windows. These decorated openings, on the side facing the former house, were made to look like a house of high status but they disguised a barn. The roof is original and is of alternating hammer-beam and full truss with queen strut construction. See Paston (NHER 6896) and Waxham (NHER 8365) barns.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9042 2209|
|Parish:||TITTLESHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Brick barn on Deserted Medieval Settlement site (see NHER 1104). Not shown on parish map of Godwick (1596) so probably dates from early 17th century. Elaborate pedimented blind windows on west façade to face Godwick Hall (see NHER 1103).
See file for trenches excavated inside which revealed a pit with 16th century sherds sealed by a clay floor.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU), 1974.
(S1) notes a portion of this building blown down 1907; traditionally it was called 'The Barracks' (militia?).
Central pedimented doorway, blocked but now reopened. Ground floor windows pedimented in chequered brickwork, much altered. Upper windows with brick mullions and transoms, all blocked (not false; brick blocking is later). Interior not seen, but slide by  shows hammerbeam roof. Exterior is modern slate to west and tile to east. Probably a building like Hall Farm, Sustead, where labourers lived upstairs and storage downstairs.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 December 1977 and 26 March 1981.
Building listed 1984.
(S2) notes queen struts on arched braces alternating with hammerbeams, three levels of butt purlins with windbracing and collars; identifies structure as a house and dates it to 1576 with 18th century gables.
Report, photographs, schedule consent in file.
22 July 1993. NLA aerial photography (S3).
M. Brennand (NLA), 7 February 2001.
12 July 1994. NLA aerial photography (S4).
The buildings are clearly visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 22 February 2001.
The name Barracks was in fact often used in Norfolk for farmworkers lodgings.
For another theory of the building's history see (S5) and (S6).
E. Rose (NLA), 14 September 2004.
- PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1586 AD? to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1586 AD? to 2050 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9022 AN-AR,AS-AY. |
|---||Photograph: 1990. Barn at Godwick. Print. |
|---||Photograph: 1997. Photographs of Godwick Hall Barn, Godwick, Tittleshall. Colour. |
|---||Archive: Heywood S. (HES). 1993. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Godwick Barn, Tittleshall. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Photograph: BVM4a-6a. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. 1905?. Norfolk Churches.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 9022ACT - ACY. |
|<S4>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 9022ACZ - ADB. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Rossi, A.P.. 2004. Ruminations at Godwick.. Norfolk Historic Buildings Group Newsletter. No 8. pp6-7. |
|<S6>||Article in serial: 2004. Godwick Barn.. NHBG News. No 7, March. p7. |
|1103||Related to: Site of Godwick Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...