Record Details

NHER Number:10844
Type of record:Building
Name:The Priory


A timber framed hall house, dating to around 1500, with original arched doorways, and 17th and 18th century alterations. The upper floor of the building retains original 16th century wall painting, and a 16th or 17th century copper alloy bowl was found inside a chimney, perhaps to ward off evil spirits.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0642 8815
Map Sheet:TM08NE

Full description

Now divided into three houses; The Priory, Priory Cottage and Priory End. Said to have been a manor house. Timber framed, circa 1500, centre section with hall and services and original upper floor containing wall painting. Eastern section is at least part of this date. In 17th century western section added or rebuilt, and centre altered. Brick coating in 18th and 19th centuries.
17th/18th century vessels found in fireplace, jetton found, see drawing in the Illustration Library (S2).
See details in file.
E. Rose, (NLA) 2 December 2000.

Further examination showed that the western end is basically original, a very large parlour cell; like the rest it was altered in the 17th century and reduced in length in the 18th century when the north west wing was added.
See further report in file, (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 3 August 2001.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BOWL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BOWL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Banham.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2001. Building Report..
<S2>Illustration: Unknown. Unknown. Drawing of a post-medieval vessel.. Card. Unknown.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service