Record Details

NHER Number:10684
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman settlement and cemetery

Summary

In the 1850s, during the construction of a kiln, Roman coins, pottery sherds and burnt bones were found. In 1893, more Roman coins were discovered. This evidence suggests the location of a Roman settlement and cemetery, possibly of 3rd century date. A Neolithic arrowhead has also been found at the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 3500 9021
Map Sheet:TM39SE
Parish:BROOME, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
DITCHINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1850s and 1893.
At Wainford, on maltings site, in erecting a kiln, coins were found in 1856 - 1857 (S1) and 1855 (S2).
Also in 1893 - these of Philip the Arabian (244-9) and Antoninus Pius (138-61).
In 1856 large quantities of 'rotten' pottery were found containing burnt bones, ashes, black earth; vitrified slag over area.
Two coarse vessels ornamented - mamillated and perpendicular lines - black unglazed. Decorated Samian ware - one with dolphin. See (S3) (called pseudo-Samian).
3rd century cemetery and settlement.
See (S1), (S2), (S3), (S4), (S5), (S6), (S7), (S8) and (S9).
Flint arrowhead also found.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HEARTH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Ditchingham.
<S1>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S2>Article in serial: Harrod, H.. 1859. Notice of Excavations Made at Burgh Castle, Suffolk, in the Years 1850 and 1855. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol V pp 146-160. p 148.
<S3>Article in serial: 1863. Archaeological Journal. Vol XX, p 179.
<S4>Article in serial: King, S. W. 1864. Notes on a Roman Kiln and Urns, Found at Hedenham, near Bungay. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 149-160. p 152.
<S5>Article in serial: 1863. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Vol III, p 414.
<S6>Monograph: Raven, J. J. 1895. History of Suffolk. Popular County Histories. p 30.
<S7>Article in serial: 1900. Archaeological Journal. Archaeological Journal. Vol II, p 163.
<S8>Article in serial: 1863. Proc.Bury and W.Suffolk Archaeol.Inst.. Vol 3, p 413.
<S9>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service