Record Details

NHER Number:1026
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church and Benedictine Priory

Summary

A Benedictine Priory founded in 1095 and now a parish church. The church itself contains some Norman work but was rebuilt in the 13th century, the beginning of a series of almost continuous alterations. The exterior, with its twin west towers, dates mainly from the 15th century. The medieval spire and central lantern collapsed in 1741 and the interior was remodelled by Matthew Brettingham in the 1740s. The church contains two of the largest medieval brasses in England, both dating to the 14th century and depicting the departed in contemporary dress. The buildings along Church Street and Priory Lane are associated with the Priory. 12 to 20 Priory Lane date back to the 14th and 15th centuries, and were restored and divided into cottages in the 1970s. 17 and 18 Church Street were originally one building, dating back to the 15th century, that was probably divided at the Reformation. The house was refaced in the 18th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6177 1978
Map Sheet:TF61NW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Benedictine Priory on edge of Late Saxon town.
Includes St Margaret's Church.
Some Norman work, 14th and 15th century rebuilding's, much 18th-19th century alteration.
18-20 Priory lane, retaining medieval features, and 17-18 Church Street; medieval and post medieval pottery finds and well.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1981.

The charnel house is recorded separately under NHER 60527.

See newspaper cuttings (S1) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 27 January 2005.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S2).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

Article [1991 EDP] missing from file [J Yates, 13 July 2010].

14 March 2014.
Human skeletal remains, of a child with wood and leather, found in trenching for a gas main replacement by National grid adjacent to St Margaret's and in proximity to Pizza Express.
See newspaper article (S3).
D. Gurney (HES), 21 March 2014.

Monument Types

  • BENEDICTINE MONASTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE BRASS (1349, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE PIER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RAILINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Unknown date)
  • RING (Unknown date)
  • SPOON (Unknown date)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 6120A,B,G,L,M; TF 6119E-G,H-K.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1211336.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1998. TF 6120ABZ.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Bequest will make a full octave peal. 28 January.
---Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.
---Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Marking a towering achievement.. 14 June.
---Photograph: Unknown. [unknown]. JT 1-18.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NW 7 [2]; TF 61 NW 37.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991-1995. [Articles on the funding and restoration of St Margaret's Church].
---Unpublished Document: James, E.. 2003. Carved Wooden Figures of Evangelists.
---Unpublished Document: James, E.. 2004. The 'Pellegrini' Painted Panels at St Margaret's.
---Unpublished Document: 1772-1829. St Margaret's Churchwardens Accounts.
---Publication: 1998. St Margaret's, Lynn (church guide).
---Publication: Darby. K.. Carpenter's Marks. pp 86-87.
---Unpublished Document: The Whitworth Co-Partnership. 2006. Project Specification and Schedule of Works for Canon William Richard Hurdman Memorial at the Priory and Parish Church of St. Margaret, King's Lynn, Norfolk.
---Unpublished Document: St Margaret's Church, King's Lynn (church guide)..
---Photograph: Rose, E.. EPU 7-10.
---Photograph: Greenacre, T.. 2005. [unknown].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Belts of concrete to hold Lynn's learning church. 24 August.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978-1979. [Articles on the removal of the tower pinnacles at St Margaret's Church and the reuse as an alter].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Workers stop the rot. 19 January.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987-1997. [Photographs and drawings of St Margaret's Church].
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Ex-Benedictine priory home. 21 May.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. Church's high profile role. 22 July.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. Brasses copied. 8 February.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. Nearer my god to thee - uplifting experience at St Margraret's church. 4 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Church is nearing the pinnacle of restoration. 19 June.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Custom House 'in the pink'. 19 December.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. £250,000 appeal for Snetzler restoration. 28 August.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Pulling out the stops at church celebration. 14 July.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989-1991. [Articles on the sale of Number 17 Priory Lane].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1974. Lynn cottages transformed. 18 November.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 465-468, 494-495; Pl 14.
---Leaflet: 1960. A Handbook for Visitors to St. Margaret's Church, King's Lynn.. East Midland Printing Co., Limited.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. King's Lynn [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Photograph: Brass of dog AH26-29.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2016. Lynn Minster is added to Heritage at Risk register. 21 October.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. [Articles on the restoration of the bell at St Margaret' Church]. 27 January.
<S2>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2014. [Articles on the medieval remains found at Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service