|Type of record:||Monument|
A manor house of around 1622 with other buildings, on the site of Oby deserted medieval village. The manor house is now clad with Georgian and later work. There were barns on the site, of about 1824, but these have been replaced with concrete buildings. A 17th-century barn incorporates what are thought to be parts of Oby church. The exact site of the church is not known.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4157 1444|
|Parish:||ASHBY WITH OBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Manor House, 1622.
Barn incorporated remains of Oby Church (though (S1) argues this was in fact Ashby church). Other barns are of 1824.
Stands on site of Oby DMV, mentioned in Domesday, Nomina Villarum and in 1334 (OS card and (S1)).
Owners confirm date of house though it is now all clad in Georgian and modern work.
1824 barns demolished and replaced by concrete structures; attached to south is a strange barn, ?17th century, flint and brick walls with traces of diaper work to east, and huge brick buttresses looking much older than they can possibly be supporting exterior of south wall and interior of north wall. Now with modern roof and only single storey, these
buttresses must have supported something much larger. Along interior of south wall is a row of reused stone fragments chamfers etc, one piece resembling part of a millstone. Exterior east wall a mass of stone blocks of several kinds, some with graffiti of 1818. These certainly come from a church, but do not necessarily indicate that it stood on this site.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 November 1978.
Church was in use in 1552. See ref (S2).
Appropriate section from (S3) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Ashby with Oby. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. 1890-1910. Norfolk Churches.. Diss Hundred p.254. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Bent, F.. 1995. The Ruined Churches of the Fleggs.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 17. |
|<S3>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
Related records - none
Find out more...