|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Beeston St Andrew Hall|
A building is marked on Faden's map of 1797 as New Hall, but the present building is in fact a replacement building of 1897, New Hall having been demolished in 1846. The existing building is of red brick and three storeys high. It is however set between two curving walls that partly date from the 17th century, which were part of a building that predated the demolished New Hall.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 25619 13886|
|Parish:||BEESTON ST ANDREW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
July 1977. Visited.
Red brick: marked as New Hall on (S1), though it looks later than this - but not enough to postulate a rebuilding. 3 storeys: no regular bays (5 windows on 2nd floor, 7 on first). Baroque pediment with volutes on central door.
Set between two curving wing-walls of blank arches. Apparently empty but in good condition.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 20 July 1977.
1983 Relisting inspectorate did not consider the hall worthy of listing but listed the garden wall instead.
This is presumably because, according to the NCC Inventory of Parks, the house is a replica dating from 1897. The New Hall shown by (S1), which had replaced a 17th century building, was demolished in 1846.
The garden walls however are partly 17th century.
E.Rose 16 March 1994.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|30495||Related to: Beeston Park, Beeston St Andrew (Monument)|
Find out more...