Record Details

NHER Number:7458
Type of record:Building
Name:Salle Park House

Summary

Built in 1761 by Edward Hase after his wife Vertue Repps had inherited the manor, this is a big three storey Palladian brick house with a seven window bay façade, the central three bays projecting under a pediment with an elaborate coat of arms. The house was altered in 1862, including the addition of a now demolished west service wing. The single storey east and west wings, the east containing an orangery, were added in 1910 by Sir Woolmer White, and most of the interior is of the same date, though the chimneypieces in the saloon, drawing room and dining room are original.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1163 2455
Map Sheet:TG12SW
Parish:SALLE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1977. Visited.
Built in 1761 by Edward Hase, after his wife, Vertue Repps, had inherited the manor.
Three storeys, with top windows smallest.
Seven bays, three centre bays projecting under pediment with elaborate coat of arms.
Ionic porch. Entrance hall with Ionic pillars and heavy pedimented doorcases.
Screen walls of three round-headed arches, two blank, with at the centre a door with pediment above; attached to blocks of two storeys, three bays.
Eastern of these is the stables and kennels with interesting original fittings.
A late 18th century wing with dentilled cornice behind the west screen wall, spoiling the symmetry, is to be demolished.
Remainder under restoration.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 March 1977.

Some marble fireplaces. Listed grade II* (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

Architect's details (S2) in file

(S3) dates the demolished west service wing to 1862.
Single storey east and west wings, the east containing an orangery, were added by Sir Woolmer White in the early 20th century.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • KENNELS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1124 W-Z.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 1124AA - AE.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S3>Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk..

Related records

30485Related to: Salle Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service