|Type of record:||Building|
A 16th century and later house, possibly located on the site of a medieval manor house. The house was built during the 16th century and extended during the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. The current brick façade is 18th and 19th century. In 1970 flint and brick walls, possibly part of a medieval manor house, were discovered in the construction of a swimming pool.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0487 4051|
|Parish:||LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1970. Excavation for swimming pool
Fifteenth-century foundations, probably those of the old manor house, were encountered during excavation for a new swimming pool.
See (S1) for further information.
H. White (NLA), 12 March 2009
September 1987. Listed grade II
A mid 18th century enlargement of a 16th century house, brick with stone rusticated quoins, front range pantiles, rear range plain tiles. Double range plus rear service wing, 3 storeys. Principal facade to south of 5 wide symmetrical bays, brick parapet with stone cap, cornice with modillions below parapet; centre 3 bays break forward with rusticated stone quoins. Stone surrounds to windows, ground and first floor have large 8-paned sashes with glazing bars, 2nd floor has 6-pane sashes with glazing bars. Central doorway with pediment and 2 Tuscan columns each with egg and dart echinus, pulvinated frieze, double leaved glazed door. Cross stacks to left and right of centre 3 bays. West facade: 4 bays to south of brick, 4 bays to north of gault brick; central pilaster strip in red brick, rusticated quoins of brick pilasters at angles; windows with flat arches, right 4 bays of ground floor have low sashes with glazing bars, that to first bay with steps to terrace, eight 8-pane sashes to first floor, eight 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Left 4 bays of ground floor of colourwashed brick, sash to 3rd bay. Forward single storey addition to first bay extending northwards, English bond with recessed panels, parapet, 2 sashes; glazed conservatory with wooden fluted Tuscan columns and flat entablature to 2nd bay and right return of addition. East façade of 4 bays, 2 gable ends, left angle with clasping brick pilaster having rusticated stone quoins; left gable with wide central stack part external to first and 2nd floor only, right gable with internal stack and doorway c.1945 having classical doorcase with pediment, square fluted columns, door with panels grouped.2:3:3. Sash windows of different sizes with glazing bars and stone lintels. Oval window with glazing bars to 2nd floor of left gable. Rear: fixed stair window with semi-circular head and glazing bars, varied and scattered fenestration; 3 bay 3 storey C19 service wing extension to left plus linking bay, 3-light transomed casement to ground floor, all sashes to first and 2nd floor facing east and north with moulded brick bands below sills; single storey extension to right for dairy having 12-pane fixed window with cast iron glazing bars and tudor rose bosses, segmental head. Interior: ground floor central front room of 3 bays with moulded ceiling and ceiling rose, fireplaces either end with console brackets and pediments to surrounds, plaster ceiling to right room; room to left with cornice frieze. Adam style fireplace in white marble inlaid with green marble, fluted pilasters, frieze of anthemions, central marble relief of classical deities. Room to left at rear with geometric plaster ceiling, reeded doorframes with patera, fireplace in white and green marble with relief plaque of sleeping god with hound. Wide open well staircase with mahogany wreathed handrail, panelled dado. Library to central 3 bays first floor front has plaster ceiling with 3 roses, moulded cornice white marble fireplaces at either end, each with tapering pilasters, meander decoration and two small marble reliefs of putti eating grapes.
Information from (S2).
H. White (NLA), 12 March 2009
Late 16th/early 17th century hall extended 18th to 20th century, fine 18th century interiors.
Flint foundations adjacent said to be 15th century manor house.
19th century garden features.
See report (S3), plan (S4), photographs (S5) and press cutting (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1988.
8 July 2011. Planning Application.
Erection of single-storey extension, remove stud wall to open entrance hall to original and replace a door with a window.
Z. Dack (HES), 22 September 2011.
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 169. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0440 A-E,L-S. |
|---||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 12 . |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1995. Eastern Daily Press. 6 May. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|---||Photograph: Photographic record of Bayfield Hall. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Archive: 1970. Bayfield Hall. |
|<S2>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1988. Building Report, Bayfield Hall, Letheringsett with Glandford.. |
|<S4>||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Rose, E.. 1988. EGN 9. Bayfield Hall.. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: 1975. Eastern Daily Press. 26 February. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. 20111306. |
|30493||Parent of: Bayfield Park (Monument)|
Find out more...