|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Blakeney Friary or Sniterley Friary|
This is the site of a Carmelite Friary, founded in the late 13th or 14th century. The Friary was dissolved in 1538, and some sections of masonry survive in Friary Farmhouse, NHER 47425. A length of medieval flint wall with a gateway survives on the site of the friary to the north of the farmhouse.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0319 4405|
|Parish:||BLAKENEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of Carmelite Friary, founded 1296, see (S1).
Also known as Sniterley.
E. Rose (NAU)
Vicar claims parish church was used as its church, see NHER 6167.
E. Rose (NAU)
Fragments of monastic walling survive at the northeast corner of the house, with a doorway in the north wall of an adjacent building.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 25 May 1990
(S2) reproduces a map of 1586 which shows the friary still standing.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 November 1997.
(S3) disputes that the friary used the parish church and suggests it was not in fact founded until after 1300.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 2002.
February 1979. Listed, Grade II.
Long flint wall rising to about 11 to 12 ft high with later segmental- headed gateway through.
Information from (S4).
S. Spooner (NLA) 29 August 2006
- BOUNDARY WALL (13th Century to 16th Century - 1296 AD to 1538 AD)
- CARMELITE FRIARY (13th Century to 16th Century - 1296 AD to 1538 AD)
- GATE (13th Century to 16th Century - 1296 AD to 1538 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 0343/ B, C. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 4 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Blakeney. |
|<S1>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 233-234. |
|<S2>||Publication: Hooton, J.. The Glaven Ports. p. 106. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Wright, J.. 2002. Origins of Blakeney Church.. Glaven Historian. No 5. p 26. |
|<S4>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1039496. |
|47563||Parent of: Barn immediately south of Friary Farmhouse (Building)|
|47425||Parent of: Friary Farmhouse, Blakeney (Building)|
Find out more...