Record Details

NHER Number:47563
Type of record:Building
Name:Barn immediately south of Friary Farmhouse

Summary

A flint and brick barn that may have been the refectory of the medieval Carmelite Friary that was founded here in 1296, see NHER 6158. The barn probably has its origins in the medieval period and has an arched 16th century doorway in the north wall.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0320 4400
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:BLAKENEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1979. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Probably medieval origin. Said to have been the refectory of Friary. Flint and brick. West end wall rebuilt. Modern tiled roof with gabled ends. North side has 16th century brick 3-centred arch doorway, chamfered and with dripmould. And small stone high pointed arch doorway. East end incorporating re-used stone and lancet made from re-used stone. Modern garage doors on south side.
Information from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 29 August 2006

Monument Types

  • BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • REFECTORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373960.

Related records

47425Part of: Friary Farmhouse, Blakeney (Building)
6158Part of: Site of Blakeney Friary or Sniterley Friary (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service