Record Details

NHER Number:47425
Type of record:Building
Name:Friary Farmhouse, Blakeney

Summary

A flint and brick house that dates mainly to the 17th century but incorporating parts of a medieval carmelite friary that was founded on the site in the 13th century, see NHER 6158.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0319 4403
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:BLAKENEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

House incorporating remains of Carmelite Friary founded in 1296, chuch consecrated in 1302. Gift of Maud de Roos, wife of W. de Roos who distinguished himself in the Crusades and was knighted and granted land at Cley and Blakeney. The house as it stands is probably mainly 17th century with datestone on west side: '1667 T.R.I'. Flint and brick with some stone quoins. Pantile roof with brick coping to gable ends. Two storeys and attic. L-shaped on plan. Mainly modern metal-frame casements and some sashes with glazing bars. Incoporates medieval walling, a buttress, various blocked openings, fragments of window surrounds and stonework including a re-used carved kneeler on south-west gable with coat of arms. Modern accretions on east side. Wing on south-east probably 17th century, and later, one storey and attic.
S. Spooner (NLA) 29 August 2006

Monument Types

  • CARMELITE FRIARY (13th Century to 16th Century - 1296 AD to 1538 AD)
  • CHURCH (14th Century to 16th Century - 1302 AD to 1538 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • DATE STONE (17th Century - 1667 AD to 1667 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 4 [3].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 398.

Related records

47563Parent of: Barn immediately south of Friary Farmhouse (Building)
6158Part of: Site of Blakeney Friary or Sniterley Friary (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service