|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Michael's Church, Conesford, Norwich|
Documentary evidence confirms that the Church of St Michael was in existence between AD 1186 and 1210. At an uncertain date the parish was united to St Peter Parmentergate, and in 1360 it was sold to the Austin Friars to become part of their cloister site (NHER 374). Evidence for the church has been excavated at site NHER 84, and the churchyard is listed under NHER 390.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23533 08268|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Church of St Michael Conisford (or Conesford).
Church in existance by AD 1186 - 1210 (S1).
Sold to Austin Friars 1360 and their cloister site.
Parish united to St Peter Parmentergate.
'This church was formally acquired by the St Augustinians in 1368 and its ornaments were placed by the archdeacon in the care of a parishioner. The building itself had been demolished to make way for the conventual buildings eight years before'. (S2).
1998. NAU Report No. 388.
An archaeological impact assessment emphasizes the historical significance of King Street, the north-south spine of the Late Saxon town and the character of the site, which was occupied from an early date although just outside the line of the defensive circuit. The waterfront area of King Street was of growing importance to institutional 'developers' from the 13th century, with ecclesiastical and commerical interests dominating in the 15th century (resulting in 'Dragon Hall'). After the Dissolution the major ecclesiastical precinct, the Austin Friars, became private gardens to the Duke of Norfolk's townhouse, Howard House. Development here will have a major impact on the remains of the defensive circuit and may provide an opportunity to examine further the Late Saxon remains and the medieval friary and waterfront complexes.
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1186 AD? to 1210 AD?)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1360 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Monograph: West, J. R. 1932. St. Benet of Holme, 1020-1210. The eleventh and and twelfth century sections of Cott. Ms. Galba E.ii, the register of the abbey of St. Benet of Holme. Norfolk Record Society Publications. Vol II. p 174. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: NRS. NRS. Vol XIX, pt I, p 16. p 16. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|84||Parent of: Part of site of St Michael Conesford Church, No 99 to 107 King Street (Monument)|
|390||Parent of: Site of churchyard of St Michael's Conesford, Norwich (Monument)|
|374||Part of: Austin Friary Precinct, King Street, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...