|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of churchyard of St Michael's Conesford, Norwich|
In 1946 the construction of Caley-Morgan mineral water factory (demolished 1968) disturbed a graveyard and a number of walls of flint and brick. It is thought that both the graveyard and the walls are associated with the church of St Michael's Conesford (NHER 594), present as early as 1186 and demolished iin 1360 to make room for the rebuilding and extension of the Austin Friary (NHER 374). A late 14th century tomb was also found, and part of this has been rebuilt into the street frontage wall of the Watney Mann building (109 King Street) of 1978, which is currently derelict.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2350 0826|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Caley's Mineral Water Factory, 109 King Street. Then Watney Mann Ltd, now derelict.
1946. Construction of Caley-Morgan mineral factory (demolished 1968).
The digging of the foundations disturbed a graveyard.
A late 14th century tomb was found and part has been rebuilt in the street frontage wall of Watney Mann Ltd (1978).
The skeletal remains have been re-intered in St Peter Parmentergate churchyard. A number of walls of flint and brick were found parallel to King Street and at right angles to it. These were removed (no plan). It is likely that both the graveyard and the walls relate to the church of St Michael's Conesford (NHER 594) - documentary evidence for which exists as early as 1186 - which was demolished 1360 to make room for the rebuilding and extension of the Austin Friary (NHER 374).
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1998. NAU Report No. 388.
An archaeological impact assessment emphasizes the historical significance of King Street, the north-south spine of the Late Saxon town and the character of the site, which was occupied from an early date although just outside the line of the defensive circuit. The waterfront area of King Street was of growing importance to institutional 'developers' from the 13th century, with ecclesiastical and commerical interests dominating in the 15th century (resulting in 'Dragon Hall'). After the Dissolution the major ecclesiastical precinct, the Austin Friars, became private gardens to the Duke of Norfolk's townhouse, Howard House. Development here will have a major impact on the remains of the defensive circuit and may provide an opportunity to examine further the Late Saxon remains and the medieval friary and waterfront complexes.
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- CEMETERY (Medieval - 1186 AD to 1360 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1186 AD to 1360 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1186 AD to 1539 AD)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1360 AD? to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|374||Part of: Austin Friary Precinct, King Street, Norwich (Monument)|
|594||Part of: Site of St Michael's Church, Conesford, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...