|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Part of site of St Michael Conesford Church, No 99 to 107 King Street|
This site is within the area of the medieval Austin Friary (NHER 374), and the possible location of the church of St Michael Conesford (NHER 594). Excavation in the late 1960s revealed a series of medieval walls which are thought to have formed part of the church of St Michael, which was demolished in 1360 when the friary was extended. Medieval pottery sherds, wood, brick fragments, charcoal and oyster shell werel also recovered from this site. Later excavation also enabled a plan of the foundations to be drawn, and recovered a lava mill stone, medieval pottery sherds, Thetford-type pottery and stonework fragments.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2352 0831|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1967. Borehole material.
Medieval sherds, wood, brick fragments, charcoal and oyster shell 1968.
Excavations on the site of the Austin Friary (NHER 374) by T. Clough (NCM) and UEA for the NRC and UEA Archaeological Society.
A number of medieval walls were found.
Dating is difficult but there were a number of building phases. A series of walls in the southernmost trench were regarded as forming part of the church of St Michael Conesford (NHER 594), which was demolished as part of the extension of the Friary in 1360.
A number of walls were also recorded in the pile holes dug commercially.
Together show that the plans published in (S1) and (S2) are wrong!
1970. Development in the area of the 1968 - 1969 excavations.
Plan made of foundations.
Lava mill stone, medieval pottery, Thetford-type Ware, stonework.
Masonry and mill stone fragments found. Plan of walls found.
March 1972. Eastern extension of King Street.
Post medieval pottery.
See file for further details.
1998. NAU Report No. 388.
An archaeological impact assessment emphasizes the historical significance of King Street, the north-south spine of the Late Saxon town and the character of the site, which was occupied from an early date although just outside the line of the defensive circuit. The waterfront area of King Street was of growing importance to institutional 'developers' from the 13th century, with ecclesiastical and commerical interests dominating in the 15th century (resulting in 'Dragon Hall'). After the Dissolution the major ecclesiastical precinct, the Austin Friars, became private gardens to the Duke of Norfolk's townhouse, Howard House. Development here will have a major impact on the remains of the defensive circuit and may provide an opportunity to examine further the Late Saxon remains and the medieval friary and waterfront complexes.
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1186 AD to 1360 AD)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1360 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- PLANT REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: 1969. Selected Archaeological Discoveries in Norfolk 1967 and 1968. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 18 pp 20-22. p 22. |
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Taylor, R. C. 1821. Index Monasticus. |
|<S2>||Article in monograph: Campbell, J. 1975. Norwich. The Atlas of Historic Towns: Vol 2. Lobel, M. D. pp 1-25. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Clough, T. H. Mck. and Woodings, R. B. 1969. Excavations on the Site of the Austin Friary, Norwich. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 18 p 3. |
|<S4>||Serial: 1969. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1969. No 16. p 7. |
|<S5>||Serial: 1968. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1968. No 15. p 9. |
|<S6>||Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1971. Medieval Britain in 1968. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XIII (for 1969) pp 230-287. p 247. |
|<S7>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|374||Part of: Austin Friary Precinct, King Street, Norwich (Monument)|
|594||Part of: Site of St Michael's Church, Conesford, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...