Record Details

NHER Number:5367
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Roman temple, Sawbench Wood

Summary

In 1962 the remains of a Roman temple were found in Sawbench Wood. The site was excavated in 1962, revealing a complex of narrow ditches and timber framed buildings with chalk floors. Roman coins, mounts, fragments of priests head-dresses, a votive letter, and urned cremations below a deposit of red deer antler were found on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 6875 8884
Map Sheet:TL68NE
Parish:HOCKWOLD CUM WILTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1962. Excavated from Roman temple site.
Tip of copper alloy spearhead.
Donated to NCM by [1].
A.K. Gregory (NAU) 1974.

1962. In wood northwest of Blackdyke Farm, 'Sawbench site'.
Area defined by narrow ditches noted by [1] who excavated part of it in early 1962.
Further excavations for NCM July 1962.
Complex of ditches, floors and timber from structures, probably a Roman temple. Finds range from late 1st to late 4th centuries. Numerous coins especially about 270 to 350.
(S1) of copper alloy objects (S4), animal bones, tiles from [1].
Sketches of Roman vessels (S5, S6, S7 and S8)
See file for details.
R.R. Clarke (NCM)

Ordnance Survey description, a good summary, in file.
Information from (S2).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 28 March 1990.

Best summary of site is by D. Gurney (NLA) in file, see (S3), outlining full sequence of excavations and finds (more detailed than above) and including fact that detecting of site 1962 was the first recorded use of detector in Norfolk.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 September 1995.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CREMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLOOR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TEMPLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SPEAR (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CROWN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PLAQUE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SPOON (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WORKED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in serial: 1963. Journal of Roman Studies. Vol 53, pp 138, 160.
---Article in serial: 1966. Archaeological Discoveries in Norfolk [1965]. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 16 pp 9-14. p 12.
---Article in serial: 1967. Journal of Roman Studies. Vol 57, p 241.
---Unpublished document: 1962/3. Exacavation notes and plan.
---Monograph: Lewis, M.J.T.. 1965. Temples in Roman Britain.. pp 1-53.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Hockwold-Cum-wilton.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Hockwold Cum Wilton.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Photograph: NCM.
<S2>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S3>Unpublished document: Gurney, D.. 1995. A Romano-Celtic Temple Site at Sawbench, Hockwold-cum-Wilton, Norfolk.
<S4>Illustration: Unknown. Unknown. Drawing of a Roman spoon.. Paper. 1:1.
<S5>Illustration: Unknown. 1962. Sketches of two Roman vessel fragments.. Paper. 1:1.
<S6>Illustration: Unknown. 1962. Sketches of a Roman vessel fragment.. Paper. 1:1.
<S7>Illustration: Unknown. 1962. Sketches of Roman vessel fragments.. Paper. 1:1.
<S8>Illustration: Unknown. 1962. Sketches of two Roman vessel fragments.. Paper. 1:1.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service