|Type of record:||Building|
Stradsett Hall was originally a moated property held by the Pigot family in 1570, and acquired by the Bagge family in the mid 18th century. The current building appears to be Georgian, but is thought to date to the Elizabethan period and be E-shaped in plan. The house was given new windows in 1819, when the façade was plastered and substantial work done for Thomas Philip Bagge. In front of the building are a good pair of mid-18th century gatepiers with wrought-iron gates.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6665 0577|
|Parish:||STRADSETT, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
South facade of two storeys and round dormers, eleven bays - pair at each end project slightly. All appears late Georgian. However (S1) claims this is only a refacing of 1819 of an Elizabethan E-shaped house, and that it appears on a map of 1660. (S2) notes that this former hall had ridge tiles of pigs and goats, forming rebus for Pigot. This must
have been before the Bagge family aquired the property.
Seen only from distance owing to absence of owner.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 August 1980.
This is confirmed by a drawing in Tom Martin's church notes (large vols) around 1730 which shows a Tudor E-shaped house with stepped gables on wings and porch. Doorway is later. The pigs and goats are visible on the roof.
E. Rose (NAU).
Ordnance Survey card (S3) by 'FDC' 1979 notes that Sir John Bagge has an early map (16th century) showing large rectangular moat around the property, of which there is now no trace; it disappeared before the first edition of the
25inch map (1883?) was published.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 August 1982.
Norfolk County Council Inventory of Parks confirms that hall was moated and held by the Pigot family in 1570 and acquired by the Bagge family mid 18th century; north garden facade infilled between wings and house stuccoed
and refenestrated 1819. Stables added 1866.
- MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1558 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF6605 D,E. |
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 NE 31 . |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Stradsett. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|<S2>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. Norfolk Churches.. 2. |
|<S3>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|20971||Parent of: Post medieval cast iron bridge and cattle gate (Building)|
|4364||Parent of: Site of post medieval icehouse (Monument)|
|18915||Parent of: Stradsett Park (Monument)|
Find out more...